the Right Strategy for Innovation
International Network of Churches (Formerly Christian Outreach Centre)
- 400,000 + members
- 35 Countries
- Head Office: Queensland, Australia
Externally – the absence of a strategic marketing plan and limited resources, the confused marketing and communications message was damaging and diluting the brand and restricting the growth of the Movement.
Internally – with such a diverse group of people comes diverse personal characteristics as well as many different approaches to working. Orchestrating a unified effort calls for ways of working together toward common goals. A way of thinking that is flexible enough for different circumstances – not a prescriptive book of rules.
The Executive leadership team and all key stakeholders needed to be guided by a model that helped everyone to work together to achieve real transformational outcomes. A commitment from leadership to engage in a rigorous ‘design thinking’ process designed to usher in change, unlock possibilities and create momentum. To help the movement regain focus and alignment as it move forward to achieve its new vision.
When design principles are applied to strategy and innovation the success rate for innovation dramatically improves. Design-led organisations outperform competitors by an extraordinary 219%, according to a 2014 assessment by the Design Management Institute. A traditional design mindset is not problem-focused, it’s solution focused and action oriented towards creating a preferred future. Our Design Thinking approach draws upon logic, imagination, intuition, and systemic reasoning, to explore possibilities of what could be—and to create desired outcomes that benefit the people we aim to serve.
In order to achieve a strategy that led to innovation and where creativity would flourish we led INC through the following four ‘design thinking’ phases.
- DISCOVER – A divergent approach to research, using empathy as the key driver to uncover the challenges. The research phase included key stakeholder interviews, quantitative surveys, persona and journey maps
- DEFINE – Synthesising of insights to gain clear strategy through collaborative workshops
- DEVELOP – Ideation, testing and iteration of new values, mission, vision, culture, brand positioning and visual identity
- DELIVER – Execution of the new brand including: Name, tagline, logo, voice, persona, typography, colour system, image treatment, digital presence and style guide. Onboarding key stakeholders through experiential training events in Australia and around the world.
INC is Australia’s fastest growing faith community (of any kind) at a current growth rate of 26%. This has come from:
- Organisational alignment around new vision, mission and brand
- Transformed culture centered around a new ‘servant leadership’ model
- Successful stakeholder on-boarding in over 300 locations worldwide
- A focused brand strategy that makes it easier for all stakeholders to communicate the promise of value, and provides clarity, context, and inspiration to all connected to the vision and its cause
- A cohesive brand identity system that successfully reflects the organisations new vision, communicates its authentic point of difference and sustained appeal
- Successful execution of new marketing and communications across multiple channels worldwide
Ray was our lead strategist on a complex business project that included stakeholders world-wide. Ray was able to lead our leadership teams to a place of alignment of language, strategy and values that the current leadership teams still adhere to four years post project launch. Ray exercises superior emotional intelligence and led our leadership teams through a collaborative design thinking process to synthesis learnings, develop strategy and enable execution.Suellen Holmes